Friday, January 5, 2007

Overstock.com Stores? The New Look of Overstock

During the summer of 2006 Overstock Auctions attended the eBay Live event and gave the eBay elite a glimpse of exciting new programs such as "Overstock Outlets" and "Subscription Pricing". Overstock managed to launch the subscription pricing yet the Overstock Outlets failed to develope.

Recently Overstock announced the cancellation of a "Subscription Pricing" plans, however there have been no official updates regarding "Overstock Outlets".

Today readers have noticed the Overstock.com main shopping pages has taken on a new look. Key to this new look is the addition of the phrase "Shop our most popular stores:" followed by a list of buttons for various Overstock Retail Categories and the phrase "See all our stores on tabs at top".

Looking at the site from a customer's viewpoint it may be confusing, and possibly lead to a decrease in sales across multiple site categories.

It also appears that Overstock is using all available resources to change and market the retail side while letting the Auctions spiral into oblivion. According to Site Listing counts the spiral has been going on for some time and it is gaining momentum as the total volume shrinks.

Perhaps someone will through Overstock Auctions a Life Boat before it's too late, then again maybe they won't.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm surprized that Overstock is still in the auction biz at all. In the short time that I was trying to sell on the "O", I found that they were even more stuck-up than ebay -- without the redeeming benefit of actually delivering any customers, or even any significant traffic. While I was there, one frustrated seller tried auctioning off a genuine US Dollar bill just to see if it would sell (I was the winning bidder at 49 cents, but I told the seller that I appreciated the joke and I wasn't really interested in collecting, so we did not complete the transaction -- there is more to that story, but it's a long one...).

I also found that some of my posts on the Overstock users forum had been altered by someone else without my knowledge or permission, which put them on my permanent shun-list. I refuse to deal with low-lifes.